Privacy and Cookies Policy
Last updated: August 21, 2012
The Starbucks name and reputation were built on a foundation of trust. This Starbucks Privacy and Cookies Policy ("Policy") describes how Starbucks collects, uses and discloses personal information of customers through our website at Starbucksstore.co.uk, (the “Site”). The information you provide to us through the Site will initially be collected by Starbucks Coffee Company (UK) Ltd and Starbucks Manufacturing EMEA B.V. but may then be shared with Starbucks Corporation and other affiliates of Starbucks Corporation. All references to “Starbucks” in this Privacy and Cookies Policy therefore include Starbucks Coffee Company (UK) Ltd, Starbucks Corporation, Starbucks Manufacturing EMEA B.V. and any other affiliates of Starbucks Corporation, unless stated to the contrary.
This Policy does not apply to websites that display or link to different privacy statements. Websites co-branded with other partners may display or link to a joint privacy statement or separate privacy statements of our partners in addition to our Policy.
What Type of Information Does Starbucks Collect?
Personal Information that may be collected by Starbucks may include:
- Name, postal address, phone number, and e-mail address.
- Financial account information, such as credit card number and other payment information.
We may also collect information about you such as:
- If you create an account - your username, password, your city of birth, your birthday and mobile phone number.
- If you buy goods at our stores or through our programmes or otherwise - what you buy, where you buy, how frequently you buy and rewards you earn.
- If you take a survey or interact with us in various other ways - demographics information and information about subjects that may interest you.
- We may also obtain personal information where you “like” us or make posts on our pages on social networking websites.
We may combine information we collect about you with information we receive from third parties.
How Does Starbucks Use Information About You?
Starbucks may use information about you for purposes described in this Policy or disclosed to you on our Site or with our Services. For example, we may use information about you to:
- Process and manage your purchase and use of Starbucks products and services, including your accounts and program participation.
- Respond to your customer service enquiries, post your comments or statements on any blog or other online forum maintained on our Site, or take other actions in response to your inquiries or other Site activities.
- Create personalized promotions by combining your personal information with non-personal information about you, such as the amounts and types of purchases you make or any benefits you receive through our programs.
- Communicate with you about your orders or purchases, your services, accounts and programme participation, a contest or sweepstakes you have entered, and your requests for information.
- Subject to respecting your choices as set out in the “What Choices Does Starbucks Offer About Personal Information and Direct Marketing” section below, communicate with you about our brands, products, events or other promotional purposes, including co-branded offers and affiliate and partner offers, subject to your consent, as required under applicable laws.
- Administer the Site.
- Carry out statistical analysis on an anonymous basis.
- Ensure that we keep appropriate records for internal administration purposes.
- Improve the Site and our products and services.
Does Starbucks Share Personal Information with Third Parties?
Starbucks shares your personal information in limited ways.
- We may share information with companies that provide support services to us (such as credit card processors, ecommerce vendors, mailing houses or website hosts) and that help us market our products and services (such as email vendors). These companies may use information about you to perform their functions on our behalf.
- If you participate in any blog or other online forum on our Site, any personal information that you post on our Site may be shared with other forum participants and Site visitors.
- In the event of a merger, acquisition, financing, or sale of assets or any other situation involving the transfer of some or all of our business assets, Starbucks may disclose personal information to those involved in the negotiation or transfer.
- We may share personal information within the Starbucks group of companies as needed for proper management and analysis and decision making, including in relation to taking decisions regarding the expansion and promotion of our product and service offering, order or customer request fulfillment and for use by those companies for the other purposes described in this policy.
We may also share aggregated or anonymised information that does not directly identify you.
What Choices Does Starbucks Offer About Personal Information and Direct Marketing?
Starbucks may wish to provide you with information about new products, services, promotions and offers, which may be of interest to you and may invite you to take part in market research or request feedback on our products and services. This communication may occur by email, telephone, post or SMS. We will obtain your consent where we are required to do so in accordance with applicable law.
Starbucks offers choices for you to request to update or change your personal information and how we communicate with you. Here are some of the ways you can request changes:
- Follow the opt-out instructions in promotional emails we send you. Starbucks will ensure that any direct marketing or market research that you receive or are contacted about by electronic means will provide a simple means for you to refuse further marketing. For example, in emails it may provide you with an ‘unsubscribe’ link, or an email address to which you can send an opt-out request. Starbucks will stop any marketing to which you object or in respect of which you withdraw your consent within a reasonable period, in order to allow sufficient time for the change to be administered.
- Log in to your account, if you have one, and visit the profile management section to manage your contact information (SMS text, email and postal address) preferences and to update your personal information.
In such cases Starbucks would not necessarily remove all your personal data from its database(s) but would note and respect your changed direct marketing preferences. If you opt out of receiving promotional communications from us, we may still send you non-promotional communications such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
How is Personal Information Secured?
Starbucks takes reasonable steps to maintain appropriate physical, technical and administrative security to help prevent loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure or modification of personal information.
While we take these reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal information, no system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Where is Your Data?
The personal information you provide through the Site is processed in the United Kingdom and is stored on servers in the US. It may be transferred within the Starbucks group of companies or to other third parties as described in the previous paragraphs. Some of the companies or other third parties to whom your personal information will be disclosed, including companies within the Starbucks group of companies and our vendors or service providers, are located outside the European Economic Area, in countries which do not provide the same level of protection to personal information. This includes the US. Whether the personal information you provide to us is processed by us or our vendors within the EEA or outside of it, we will take steps to ensure that your personal information will be afforded the level of protection required of us under applicable data protection legislation and this policy.
How to Get Copies of or Amend the Information We Have Collected
If you would like a copy of the personal information held about you please contact us at email@example.com or write to us at:
Starbucks Coffee Company
566 Chiswick High Road
If you believe that any information we have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or e-mail us as soon as possible. We will correct or update any information as soon as possible.
The cookies used on our Site are categorised in accordance with the International Chamber of Commerce United Kingdom Cookie Guide as follows:
- - Cookies which are “strictly necessary” for functionality of the Site’s platform. These cookies are essential in order to enable users to move around the Site and use its features.
- - “Performance” cookies which collect information about how users navigate this Site, for example, which pages users access most frequently. They identify how users interact with our Site, any errors that occur, which pages are not used often, which pages take a long time to load, which pages users tend to visit and in what order. These cookies do not collect any information which could identify you and are only used to help us improve how our Site works and understand what interests our Site’s users.
- - “Functionality” cookies which allow the Site to remember choices you make and your preferences (based on e.g. your user name).
- - “Targeting or advertising” cookies used to deliver adverts relevant to an identified machine or other device (not a named or otherwise identifiable person) which are tailored to interests associated with the Site activity tied to that machine or device. For example, if a cookie on a third party website recognises that a particular product was purchased from a particular device, that cookie may “talk to” marketing cookies on this Site to ensure advertisements about similar products are displayed with this Site is accessed from that device. These cookies are also used to limit the number of times a user sees an advertisement as well as to help measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign. They may also remember that this Site has been visited from a device and share that information with marketing organisations. The marketing cookies on this website are operated by third parties with our permission. Marketing cookies are used to monitor from which advertising source a user was directed towards our Site so that we know whether it is worth us investing in that particular advertising source.
|Cookie||Name||Expiration Period||Purpose||Category of cookie as defined in the ICC Cookie Guide|
|Ecommerce platform Cookie||sid
|Session - these cookies typically expire at the end of your session(i.e when you leave the Site).||Session ID - These cookies enable us to manage our website response time effectively and provide a better service to you.||Strictly necessary / Functionality|
|Ecommerce platform Cookie||dwac_* and dwanonymous_*||Session||User tracking for ecommerce cart. These cookies are essential for core shopping functions primarily to maintain navigation state and shopping cart information during a browser session.||Strictly necessary / Functionality|
|Ecommerce platform Cookie||Locale||Persistent(1 month)||Provides geolocation information about the customer.||Functionality|
|3rd Party Tracking and Analytics Cookies||CoreID6
|Persistent(2 years)*||Enables us to track and improve the Site based on behavioural analysis.||Targeting / Advertising|
|3rd Party Tracking and Analytics Cookies||cmTPSet||Session||Coremetrics- Used to collect metrics on the first pageview on the session.||Targeting / Advertising|
If you reject cookies by clicking on “No thanks”, we will not set any further cookies on your device, except that we will set the “Strictly necessary” cookies detailed above [including a cookie to remember that you don't want any cookies set when you visit the Site]
You can usually choose to set your browser to warn you when a cookie is being sent or to remove or reject cookies. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookie settings. If you choose to remove or reject cookies, it will affect many features or Services on our Site.
If you agree to cookies from our Site by clicking on the "I agree" button, we will set cookies on your device. If you wish to delete the cookies we have set on your device, please refer to your browser Help menu.
If you do nothing to indicate your cookie preference for our Site (i.e. if you do not click on either "I agree" or "No thanks"), we will treat this as acceptance and set cookies on your device. To modify your cookie settings, please refer to the Help menu of your browser.
We encourage you to check the date of our Privacy and Cookies Policy when you visit this Site for any updates or changes. We will notify you of any modified versions of the Privacy and Cookies Policy that might materially affect the way we use or disclose your personal information.
Questions, Feedback and How to Get Copies of or Amend the Information We Have Collected
We welcome your questions, comments and concerns about privacy. You have the right to request a copy of any information we hold on you at any time, and to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate. Starbucks Customer Care can be contacted online, on 020 8834 5050, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail at Customer Care, Starbucks Coffee Company (UK) Ltd, Building 4, Chiswick Park, 566 Chiswick High Road, London W4 5YE.